4. Hardware and Network Troubleshooting
4.5 Troubleshoot printers with appropriate tools
Problems associated with laser printers and probable causes:
1. Speckled pages: The causes for this may be
- The failure to clean the drum after printing properly, or
- The drum might have developed scratches.
2. Blank pages: The causes for white pages may be
- The toner would have dried out, replace the toner.
- The transfer corona, that is responsible for transferring the toner to the drum might have failed.
- The High Voltage Power Supply (HVPS) failure will also result in white pages.
3. Ghosted Images: Ghosting occurs when previously printed pages are printed again, though much lighter than the present image. The most likely cause is that the erasure lamp might not be working properly, thus leaving some charges representing the earlier image left on the photosensitive drum before new image is written. Also check the cleaning blade, which is responsible for scraping the residual toner.
4. Smudged images: If the fusing fails, the toner will not bond with the paper. Check the halogen lamp responsible for heating.
- The toner is negatively charged, so that it gets attracted towards the positively charged paper surface (due to positively charged transfer corona).
- The manufacturer specifies the field replaceable parts, and usually, the print heads and toner catridges are the only FRUs (Field Replaceable Parts).
- Nickel Cadmium battery is not environmentally friendly and not as efficient as Nickel/Metalhydride or Lithium Ion. Nickel/Metal hydride, though environmentally friendly, not as efficient as Lithium Ion. Lithium Ion battery is environmentally friendly and very efficient.
- Typically, a laser printer maintenance kit consists of fuser fixing assembly, pickup rollers, transfer roller, gloves, and instruction manual.